The InSinkErator Evolution Excel is a high-quality garbage disposal that offers superior grinding power with minimal noise. InSinkErator boasts that the Evolution Excel is the best grinding and quietest disposal they’ve ever produced.
The Evolution Excel is one of the highest-rated and most frequently recommended garbage disposals on the market. With a 1-horsepower motor and smart technology that detects jams, this disposal is a true powerhouse. It will power through fruits, small bones, and peels with ease. It’s durable, long-lasting, and most importantly—whisper quiet. Let’s take a closer look at this heavy-duty garbage slayer.
- Ultra-quiet performance
- Three levels of grinding power
- Built-in jam sensor
- Automatic reverse grinding
- Extra durable stainless-steel grind chamber
- Large grind chamber capacity
- Easy installation and replacement
- Seven-year full service limited warranty covers parts and labor. If anything malfunctions due to a manufacturing defect, a technician will come to your home and complete repairs at no cost to you.
- The Evolution Excel has a long life, often outlasting other disposal machines.
- The disposal delivers on its promise to be the quietest disposal on the market. In fact, it’s quiet enough to be able to have a conversation in the kitchen without raising your voice.
- The various levels of grinding power eliminate worry about what foods you can and cannot put in the disposal.
- The jam sensor intelligently detects jams and increases torque to break through the toughest blockages.
- The sink baffle is removable, making for easy cleaning.
- The disposal is American made and buyers report positive experiences with InSinkErator customer service.
- The disposal uses about one gallon of water per person each day. Depending on the size of your household, this may or may not be a significant increase in water usage.
- The Evolution Excel’s price tag is a bit higher than the average cost of a garbage disposal.
- The unit is quite large and may require some reconfiguring of sink drain pipes, which could increase the cost of installation.
- The power cord is not included with a purchase of the garbage disposal.
- Some customers report that they were not able to take advantage of the warranty when their disposal failed because the technician determined that there were no manufacturing defects present.
How it Could be Better
It would be an improvement if the power cord was included with your purchase. The power cord accessory kit is $10-$12 extra, depending on the retailer. It’s not a costly addition, but a minor inconvenience.
If you like to use a sink stopper, you’ll also have to purchase that separately. The InSinkErator brand stopper is just shy of $14. Considering the big price tag on the disposal, it would be nice to have at least one of these items included with the purchase.
One of the ways that this disposal is made to be so quiet is a substantial rubber collar that suppresses operational noise. The drawback of this rubber collar, however, is that it that blocks solid food from going down the drain without some assistance. You will have to do a bit of shoving to get the food down the drain and into the disposal before you run it.
Overall, reviews for the Evolution Excel are glowing. Some sites that sell the disposal show an average customer rating at or near five stars. Considering there are several thousands of reviews on each site, that’s a pretty solid track record.
One thing that customers wish they had known beforehand is just how big this disposal really is. It’s larger than the average disposal, so you should ensure that it’s going to fit in your intended location. Some buyers were surprised to learn they had to pay extra for installation due to alterations to their sink drain pipe to accommodate the disposal.
How it Compares to Other InSinkErator Models
InSinkErator offers a range of garbage disposal machines with varying levels of power and noise. The Evolution Excel has the most powerful motor—1-horsepower as compared to ¾-horsepower on other models. The Evolution Excel is one of two ultra-quiet models.
While other InSinkErator models have two grind stages, the Evolution Excel has three. This is why customers rave about being able to put anything (within reason) into the disposal and it’s pulverized every time.
The Evolution Excel is one of InSinkErator’s larger capacity models. It can hold forty ounces of waste in its grind chamber, compared to the 34.6-ounce capacity of smaller models. Additionally, it’s the only model that has auto-reverse and jam-sensing technology.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Disposal
Garbage disposals are classified into two main categories: continuous-feed and batch-feed. The continuous-feed variety is turned on with a switch as you run water. You can feed them scraps as long as they’re running. The batch-feed variety of garbage disposals automatically turn on when you press a stopper into the drain.
Batch-feed disposals are a little less convenient but easier to install. Arguably, they are safer, as well. This is because they can’t be operated unless the stopper is in place.
All garbage disposals sold in the United States are made by a handful of companies, though they have several unique brand names. InSinkErator makes 80% off all disposals sold.
Garbage disposal models range from low-power machines that cost around $50, to top of the line models that cost upwards of $600. As with most modern commodities, you get what you pay for. For that reason, many buyers don’t mind spending a little extra cash for a durable, reliable machine.
When it comes to quality, performance, and durability, the InSinkErator Evolution Excel is definitely a top contender. The machine is reliable and does exactly what it is designed to do.
The Evolution Excel is powerful, yet ultra-quiet. Usually, disposals that are large and heavy will run more quietly. This is definitely true of the Evolution Excel, as its great size has surprised many buyers. You’ll need to plan ahead to make sure you can accommodate this machine.
While you’ll pay a little more for this disposal, the benefits of owning one certainly seem to justify the price. For the best in disposal functionality and effectiveness, the InSinkErator Evolution Excel should be at the top of your list.